Sunday, December 13, 2009

Advent Paintings

Sometimes things happen in strange and unexpected timings. Back in October my pastor emailed those of us in the church who are artists and asked if any of us would like to do the covers for the coming Advent season. I waited a few days before answering because the other artists are so much more experienced than I am and I was a little nervous about being able to do it. Well Jim replied that I was the first to reply, so I could do it. He sent me the Scripture passages he would be using. Read more about them HERE.  The theme would be "Don't Be Afraid", a frequent command of God. I was excited and read through the passages so I could meditate on them for awhile and see what God brought to mind.

The past month has been a challenge.  My brother-in-law, Bob, has been diagnosed with brain cancer.  He's had surgery and will be continuing treatment, but the prognosis isn't good. and my sister, Roberta, and her girls, Jessie and Jillian, have a lot to face in the coming months.  I'm glad that we are close and more importantly, I'm grateful that all of them have a strong faith in Jesus.  I know He will sustain them through whatever is to come.  Of course we are praying for a miracle, and sometimes He does heal.  Sometimes He doesn't.  It's completely up to Him and we trust Him because His ways are so much bigger than our ways and we don't see the complete picture. As I meditated on each of the passages, I thought about Bob and his family and all they are facing, and prayed for each of them as I painted.  It has been such a blessing for me, reminding me that God is in control and resting in Him, no matter what the circumstances, is the only answer that makes sense.

No comments: