Sunday, April 13, 2008

I began dabbling in watercolor a few years ago, having no experience in any kind of fine art except for brief oil painting lessons when I was 12. I was in charge of the set design for my church's vacation Bible school and had so much fun painting the characters (projected and done in cheap acrylics....kind of paint-by-number) that I decided to try my hand at pastels. That led to a book on drawing....helpful to know....which led to drawing towards watercolor, which has always been my favorite medium to look at. That's the short version of the story!

My sister,
Roberta Fair, is a grade school art teacher and professional photographer. When we were kids, we took the oil painting lessons together. Her work was wonderful. Mine was lousy. I have always felt quite intiminated by her abilitles, but as I've aged, I've become less hindered by what others do so much better than me. I decided to give it a go and she has been so encouraging. She now uses my story as an example for her students to motivate them out of their comfort zones!

I have met some incredible people online in sites such as Wet Canvas and others. I have found many artists to be so generous with their time and I really appreciate all who have taken the time to help me along this journey. As you see them listed, please check out their websites and blogs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb, It is difficult for me to find the words to say how impressed I am with your work and your wonderful blog. I know you are still learning art (aren't we all?? forever?), but I believe you can now say you are an artist and not a beginner.

Your work has much interest and meaning and your love for texture and color shows exceptionally well. Proud of you.

So sorry about Annie...it is a difficult time and I am praying for you.

Love you, your friend,
Peg Allen